Becoming a naturalized citizen is a significant milestone, marking the end of a long journey toward achieving one’s American dream. However, the joy of obtaining a naturalization certificate can be dampened if you discover inaccuracies in the document. 

In this blog, we will learn the steps to take if you find errors on your naturalization certificate and provide insights into the corrective measures available.

Understanding The Significance Of a Naturalization Certificate

A naturalization certificate serves as proof of an individual’s U.S. citizenship. It includes essential information such as the individual’s full name, date and place of birth, date of naturalization, and a unique certificate number. 

Any inaccuracies in these details can potentially lead to complications in various aspects of life, including employment, travel, and accessing government benefits.

Common Errors On Naturalization Certificates

  • Name Spelling Mistakes:

A frequent issue is the misspelling of names, whether a typographical error or a misinterpretation during the application process. These errors can lead to confusion and may need correction to ensure accurate identification. (Learn more on how to correct your name when obtaining US citizenship)

  • Incorrect Birthdate or Birthplace:

Mistakes in recording the birthdate or birthplace can have significant implications. These errors may affect the individual’s eligibility for certain benefits or services that require accurate birth information.

  • Inaccurate Certificate Number:

Each naturalization certificate comes with a unique certificate number. If this number is recorded incorrectly, it may cause challenges in verifying citizenship status and accessing related privileges.

  • Wrong Date of Naturalization:

The date of naturalization is a crucial detail on the certificate. Inaccuracies in this information can lead to confusion about the individual’s citizenship timeline and may require correction for legal clarity.

Steps To Take If You Discover Errors

  • Review Your Certificate Thoroughly:

Upon receiving your naturalization certificate, carefully review all the information. If you notice any inaccuracies, document them for future reference. 

  • Contact USCIS Customer Service:

Reach out to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) customer service as your first point of contact. Explain the inaccuracies you’ve identified and inquire about the necessary steps for correction. USCIS may guide you through the process or direct you to the appropriate channels.

  • File Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization Document:

If the errors are substantial and require formal correction, you may need to file Form N-565. This form is designed for individuals seeking a replacement or correction of their naturalization certificate.

  • Gather Supporting Documentation:

Alongside Form N-565, prepare supporting documentation verifying the correct information. This may include birth certificates, marriage certificates, or other relevant records. Providing comprehensive evidence strengthens your case for correction.

  • Pay the Application Fee:

There is an associated fee for filing Form N-565. Ensure you include the appropriate payment method along with your application. USCIS updates fee information regularly, so check their official website for the most current details.

  • Submit the Application:

Once you have completed Form N-565 and gathered all necessary documents, apply the address in the form instructions. Make copies of all documents for your records.

  • Follow Up on Your Application:

USCIS processing times can vary. Regularly check the status of your application online using the USCIS case status tool. If delays or additional information is required, USCIS will communicate with you through official channels. (Learn more on when you can apply for the U.S. citizenship)

How Can An Immigration Attorney Help You With Your Naturalization Certificate?

An immigration attorney can play a crucial role in assisting with issues related to your naturalization certificate. They possess the expertise to navigate the complex legal processes of correcting errors or obtaining a replacement certificate.